The History of Hitt Húsið Youth Center
Hitt Húsið youth center was opened in the year 1991. The idea of a recreational center for young people of the age of 16-25 year old had been on the agenda of the Youth and Sport Council of Reykjavik for a while. The youth center was located in an old club for the first years and was first and foremost a dance venue for young people. Soon enough, the youngsters requested a more comprehensive programme in terms of arts, culture and training. Since then, Hitt Húsið has grown into the institution it is now; a center for culture and information where young people are provided with a platform to realize their ideas and initiatives.
Aims of Hins Hússins
- Support and facilities – To provide support and a platform for young people to realize their ideas.
- Youth culture – To resonate with the culture of young people today.
- To guide and give information – To provide the youth with relevant information and with guidance, in cooperation with other professional institutions.
- Youth employment – To be a center for young people who seek employment.
- Social support and counsel – To provide social consultation and support for youth.